Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wanna Save the Planet?

Here's how. Its not a big thing but if all of us do it then it will make a big difference.

Its a trick from the book of hypermilers. Hypermiling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling is trying to get the best mileage out of your car. They do crazy stuff like turn off their car going down hills, or accelerating very slowly.

But here is an excellent way to save the planet and save yourself a few bucks. It takes advantage of a technical aspect of your car. Its called Fuel Cut Off Overrun. Its used by car companies to get their EPA rating.

Basically it is this. When you car decelerates, in gear and the engine is turning over at over 1,500 RPM, the fuel injectors ARE TURNED OFF!

This prevents raw gas from being dumped into the engine and out the tailpipe.

Here is how you use it. Look ahead, if you think you need to stop, take your foot off the gas. That is it. That is all you have to do. Plan ahead and take your foot off the gas. If you have to use your brakes, use them to come to a complete stop after coasting.

To give you an idea of the impact of this, I did a test. I drove to and fro from work driving how I normally drive. Then I just used this technique and this technique only. I got 100 km more out of my tank. That is 20% more. That is a big deal.

I then went extreme and used all the crazy hypermiling techniques and got an extra 90 km more. That is how powerful this knowledge is.

Please try it, it takes some getting used to but it very quickly becomes habit. My wife started doing it as well and guess what. After a tank or two she too was getting 100 km more.

If we all saved 20% of the gas we used, that would meet our Kyoto targets. Go ahead, save the planet, I dare you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Francis,

Do I get bonus points if I already do this one?

But the rest of the hypermiling stuff—some of it is kinda scary. I'm getting my 20%, though!

Regards,

Kelly

Brett Legree said...

I do that too, as you know - I get 42 mpg highway in my GTI, for Pete's sakes. Not bad for a turbocharged snot-rocket.

May I append this to your suggestion?

The government in our great province has the canastas to ban smoking in cars containing children under 16.

I think that's a great idea.

So I propose if we're going to implement laws for the "greater good", we grow some balls and go further.

Two years from today, no pickup trucks or truck based SUV's shall be licensed in the province, unless you have a farm and a genuine need. You need a special permit, just like you do to buy farm diesel.

Furthermore, no vehicles that get less than 25 mpg highway shall be renewed.

Don't like it, too damned bad.

You and I and Kelly hypermiling are helping out a bit.

But the gains that we'd see if we banned the 12 to 18 mpg megabeasts doing the daily commute would dwarf our best efforts.

eyeteaguy said...

@Kelly

I award you 25 bonus points, you go girl, or should I say, you coast girl!

@ Brett

I agree, but I can only suggest what we as puny humans can do.

Changing laws and regulations take too much time and effort.

If you really want to save the planet all cars must get 40 MPG in the city and that means diesel or hybrid.

I would also restrict all vehicles to a max of 100 km/h and all bumpers would need to be 25 MPH and at the same level.

But as I said, we can only do what we can. So lift of the gas and coast for a while.....

Eyeteaguy

Anonymous said...

Ummm...Brett.

But I NEED my SUV for fishing. It's got 4WD to go on rough roads that I can't get to by Honda Fit or SmartCar.

So...if we banned SUV's...how's a Friar supposed to enjoy his summer?

Fishing from the crowded pier at the marina doesn't cut it.

I guess there's always lawn bowling at the golf club...


- Friar

Brett Legree said...

Friar,

What about a Subaru Outback? That's a car, with AWD, and a lift kit - should be able to go anywhere your CR-V does.

Then again, the small ones like yours are not the problem (basically you have a tall hatchback if you think about it).

I was referring to truck-based SUV's - Expeditions and so forth.

I can't really see anyone making a logical argument that it makes sense to commute 100 km each way every day in a vehicle that gets 12 mpg - and having only one person in it.

Yet you see that a lot.

So that's what I mean - if we were really serious, we'd outlaw that.

I mean, maybe I should buy a transport truck and use that to commute!

eyeteaguy said...

Gentlemen,

Watch this and get back to me.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/energy/program.html
Talk about canastas.

Friar, Brett is right. Your car is fine, its the big SUVs that are the problem.

Watch the show, its brilliant. Where Arnie leads, I'll follow.

Eyeteaguy

Anonymous said...

The best part about hypermiling is something I have been doing since I started to drive, to wit:

"taking sharp curves at high speeds (to avoid losing energy to braking)"

Besides, it's much more fun this way ;)


P.S. Guess who this is? Hehehe..

Brett Legree said...

Well, whoever you are, Mr. Anonymous, I'll bet you hit the *double apex* every time ;)

Anonymous said...

Well not every time...I have had the occasional off here and there.

Jeez, was I that obvious? Of course a simple lookup would have answered that question... :)

Go straight to the head of the class, Mr Legree. :)


Cheers
Glenn

Brett Legree said...

Heh heh heh I guess I just spent a fair bit of time as a passenger in the Talon, taking corners at twice the suggested speed...

...grinning all the way, of course!

Can't wait to see the M3 :)